César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
January 3, 2018
César Chávez School Library 5:30-7pm
Chair: Keiona R Connor
1. Keiona R Connor called the meeting to order at 5:42pm.
2. Ms. May and Ms. Kara Johnson spoke to concerns about four school programs being in the building and concerns around limitations with space and access to resources. Specific concerns they mentioned included: on the english speaking side of the school, the same group of kids are in class with the same kids year to year. Ms. Johnson has 28 students in her class third grade class and the other third grade classes which are Dual Language each have 16 students. Ms May and other teachers are wanting to put Cesar Chavez on the docket at the district for review next year. They are not advocating any specific change (examples: turn Chavez into K-5, make it dual language focus school, turn it back into a middle school etc). Ms May and Ms Johnson both think another listening session would be helpful. Ms Johnson has taught here for 6 years, she is hoping that all families here can have input and be represented in talks. A discussion among the membership was had around changes to the configuration of the school.
3. The PTA membership reviewed the meeting minutes from the November 2017 meeting, minutes approved.
4. Keiona gave an update about the book fair. This is the second year we have had a book fair. It was very successful.
5. Middle school liaison – Keiona reported that the PTA is looking for a parent or caregiver of a middle school aged child to be represented at the PTA meetings, if anyone would like to participate, contact a PTA board member.
6. Computer lab update and principals report – Mr Fuller spoke to some barriers that they have discovered concerning the computer lab. Specifically issues around lack of ethernet drops (which cost approximately $15,000-$16,000) and the electrical load issues in the classrooms. A meeting is set for this week to look at feasibility of a lab in the building. The technology lab is currently on hold. Mr. Fuller and Ms Munoz applied for a grant for more Chromebooks in the building which will increase the chromebooks to 1 for every 2 students in the building (currently there are 1 per every 6 students). The gym was painted over the winter break. Cesar Chavez is next up to have the water fountains fixed. The elevator was installed over winter break. Elevator construction should be done by next Wednesday. Mr Fuller also applied for a grant for K-4 students, and all of the K-4 kids will receive a book to take home. Yesterday Sam, the new student achievement coordinator, started in his position. January 18 there is a restorative dialogue/healing circle/round table discussion planned for the middle school. That will be facilitated by Resolutions Northwest. The goal is to build community in the middle school. It will be an ongoing series, there will be 3-4 discussions that take place. On January 26 from 6-8 pm, the first middle school dance will take place, chaperones needed. January 31, Mr Fuller will host a dads and kids pizza night, where he will launch the ‘Watch DOGS’ program. That program provides a meaningful way to get dads involved at the school. The portable building may go in in August, but Mr Fuller needs to follow up with PPS. He also followed up on the story camp which happened at an outdoor school camp for 38 8th graders. They went over a weekend, the kids came back really excited and it was hugely successful.
7. President’s report – Keiona spoke to Cesar Chavez PTA’s successes and she acknowledged and thanked everyone showing up and doing the work of the Cesar Chavez PTA.
8. Treasurer’s report – Meginn Nordstrom handed out the report. Current balance in the account is $13,879.58.
9. Committee reports
a. Fundraising committee – Tahni Holt brought Fred Meyer Rewards cards and explained how that fundraiser works. Tahni reports that the PTA board agreed to give the January-March Fred Meyer rewards to the 8th grade graduation fund and Tahni has connected with an 8th grade parent regarding that fundraiser. Tahni also spoke about the Auction committee, Marlon is heading that (but was not present at tonight’s meeting). Anyone who would like to participate in the auction is encouraged to do so, and Marlon Broussard is the contact person for that. Tahni also suggested we start to think about ways each of our members could donate to the auction and how each of our communities could participate.
b. Colores – Jedd Schrock stated Colores will meet 1/16/17 6-7:30 pm in the library.
c. Membership committee – Amber Clark is working on getting membership cards printed and working on getting stickers. No new members since last meeting.
d. Literacy committee – Mark Feldman gave an update on Oregon Battle of the Books. There will be battles within the school and there is a battle in March we will need to send two parent adult volunteers, if anyone would like to come to help, let Mark know.
a. Keiona discussed all listed on the agenda.
b. Mr Fuller also wanted to mention the Titan Manor families have been given eviction notice by 2/1. Mr Fuller is working with Chloe Eudaly and Ted Wheeler’s offices to work with Titan Manor families. He encouraged all PTA members to reach out to the Titan Manor owners to express our concerns about how those families from our school will be impacted. He has posted about this on Facebook.
c. Mr Fuller also announced that an African American history month celebration will take place 2/15/18. He is looking for authors to come do readings at the school for the celebration which will take place from 6-8pm. Students will go to three classes for readings and then there will be a family-style dinner.
11. Keiona adjourned the meeting at 7:02 pm.
Meeting minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, Secretary.