César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
November 1, 2017
César Chávez School Library 5:30-7pm
Chair: Keiona R Connor
- Keiona R Connor called the meeting to order at 5:44pm.
- Membership reviewed the meeting minutes, Daniel Ribeiro requested a correction to the meeting minutes from October, will update the Auction date to 2018, as written it is 2017.
- Keiona R Connor discussed new business:
- Run for the Cyclones update, we raised approximately $10,800. Discussion around funds that were raised last year. Mr. Fuller is asking for community input regarding how the funds from last year will be used. The funds raised this year will fund about half of a computer lab. Mr. Fuller is looking into putting a poll out to the community to see their thoughts on how the money will be spent. Mr. Fuller supports putting money from last years Run for the Cyclones toward a computer lab, but wants community input as he was not principal last year. Fred Smith gave an update that Ms. Walker’s class raised the most money in the K-2 grades, and Mr. White’s class raised the most in the 3-5 grades. The middle schoolers who participated in fundraising will also get a party.
- Book Fair update – Ms. Wilde is asking for parent volunteers for the Scholastic Book fair which will occur the end of November. At the book fair, books will be sold and part of the proceeds will go back to the library fund, so that the library can purchase new books for the library.
- Principal’s Report – Mr. Fuller reported that tomorrow night there will be a meeting to prepare parents and caregivers for conferences that are scheduled November 8th and 9th. Mr. Fuller also reports that the district has really supported in his work at Chávez. He has met with the head of every department at PPS. Oscar Gilson, his supervisor, has really supported Mr. Fuller as well and he wanted to acknowledge Oscar. Mr. Fuller discussed challenges in the middle school. An after school detention program and a Saturday school program for the middle schoolers has been developed to help those students struggling with disciplinary issues. Middle schoolers are also going to be given an incentive program of positive rewards with a cyclone raffle. The middle schoolers have also asked for dances, and Mr Fuller is going to work toward a quarterly dance for middle schoolers.
- President’s Report – Keiona R Connor gave a brief report thanking everyone for the support as the PTA continues to grow.
- Treasurer’s Report – Amber Clark presented the treasurer’s report in Meginn Nordstrom’s absence. The balance on the account is $13,391.29. Special notes included: total raised for Run for the Cyclones as $10,879.24.
- Committee Reports
- Amber Clark gave the membership update. 66 members as of today. Scholarship funds are available.
- Fundraising chair – Tahni Holt discussed that SCRIP will be coming soon, we have Fred Meyer Rewards, discussed how the rewards work. There were two fundraising events in October. Chinook book: we only have two books left and 5 digital copies left out of 40 books and 30 digital copies that we originally acquired for sale. We raised about $650 so far in that effort. The first dining out event this year was at the Lombard food carts, we raised $320. They invited us back next year. There is a dining out opportunity this month on Thursday, November 16, from 4-8 pm, 15% of sales will go to the PTA. Discussed the possibility of having a bake sale in December.
- Auction chair – Marlon Broussard unveiled the save the date information for the Auction. April 28, 2018. Working on figuring out auction items. The money that is being raised is for a covered play area. It will be a kid-free evening. Goal is 150 participants. $30 per person which will include a meal.
- Literacy Committee – Mark Feldman gave an update on Oregon Battle of the Books which is being offered to 3rd to 5th grade. Mark is looking for support around graphics and images for a display case. He is also thinking about making slides for the TV screens in the school with book reviews and would like support with that. Mark has been looking into written and audio form book talks. Ms. Wilde discussed a program called Free Rice and the students earn 10 grains of rice around literacy learning vocab and math skills. So far this year the students have earned over 130,000 grains of rice. The fourth graders are loving it right now.
- Communications – Shona Lepis and Jason Clark are the co-chairs of communications. Shona is working on designing the website, which is available at www.cesarchavezpta.org.
- Colores – Keiona gave an update as Jedd Schrock, the chair is not in attendance. She let the group know that the next Colores meeting is Tuesday, November 7 from 6-7:30 pm. Ms. Wilde also says that PPS is showing a film and discussing equity tomorrow night, the monthly films and talks are called Focus on Diversity, located at BESC: 501 N Dixon in the Board room, 4:30-6 pm. The event is free.
- Volunteer Committee – Louisa Kaplan and Hilda Hernandez are volunteer coordinators, discussed fundraising needs, book fair needs, food for parent teacher conferences. Asked families to help prepare a lunch from 11-1 on Wednesday and Thursday November 8th and 9th. Sign up sheet passed around. Hilda discussed encouraging parents to come and volunteer in the cafeteria, the school and staff especially needs support for middle school lunch. Keiona also noted that there will be a volunteer training opportunity at an upcoming time, but we do not know when. Marlon suggested there be a student council and have a student representative at our meetings.
- Announcements – Keiona discussed the announcements attached to the agenda. Keiona also mentioned there will be no PTA meeting in December and no movie night in December.
- Questions – Amanda Telling wants to discuss the exit that is partially blocked by water bottles. After feedback from members, she plans on following up with Mr. Fuller.
- Alice White-Cyr wants to work on a composting program in the cafeteria, she was given some information from Carmen Brant who works in nutrition services. Alice is going to follow-up with nutrition services. Carmen states the staff hate the waste in the cafeteria and support the move to composting.
- Meeting adjourned by Keiona R Connor at 7:15 pm.
Minutes recorded by Leah Hinson, Cesar Chavez PTA Secretary.