César Chávez PTA

parents, teachers and students together

logo

School Office Number

(503) 916-5666

César Chávez School

5103 N. Willis Blvd. Portland, OR 97203

8:00am - 2:30 pm

Monday to Friday

logo

School Office Number

(503) 916-5666

César Chávez School

5103 N. Willis Blvd. Portland, OR 97203

8:00am - 2:30 pm

Monday to Friday

The child has one intuitive aim: self development

PTA Meeting Minutes, 9/6/2017

General PTA Membership Meeting Minutes

September 6, 2017 6pm-7:30pm

César Chávez School Library

Chair: Fred Smith and Keiona R Connor

  1. Fred Smith called the meeting to order at 6:12pm. Quorum established.
  2. Principal’s report – Paige Kelsey introduced herself. Ms. Kelsey was a former principal at Beach School, has been a principal at several different schools for 15 years. Ms Kelsey discussed strengths of Chávez. Introduced two new teachers here tonight, Michael Garcie (4th grade teacher) and Angie Harris (technology teacher) who she previously worked with. Paige is ready to learn from us at the school and move forward to make Chávez well known for its strengths. Parents should expect some changes especially around security. Ms. Kelsey is in the process of hiring new EA’s. The school needs volunteers on the playground helping keep eyes on the kids until those three EA’s are hired. She is also working on creating a Site Council. Site Council will meet once per month, prior to the PTA meeting. Ms Kelsey is hoping to find one parent from the community side of the school, one parent from dual immersion, and one parent of a middle schooler as well as a community member. Any parent who wants to join Site Council should email Ms. Kelsey, she would like Site Council up and running by next PTA meeting in October.  
  3. President’s report: Fred Smith welcomed new families, staff and returning families and discussed the goal of the Chávez PTA. Executive committee has been meeting over the summer. Volunteer sign-up sheets available. Committee members needed and committee chairs also needed. Discussed membership is $10, and scholarships are available if there are caregivers who cannot afford the $10 membership.
  4. Angie Harris, the technology teacher presented. She is asking for funding for PCs for a technology center. She needs PC’s for the programs that she already has licensing for. She previously worked at Beach and she worked to build a strong technology program there. Angie is looking into cost estimates, she estimates $1100 per computer needed. She has 7 computers which she will donate, she will need 30 total. In December a portable building will be coming, and the goal is for that to be a technology center. Angie feels limited by the Chrome books that the school has. She states they can run apps, but are limited in their potential for educating students about technology. Keiona R Connor states a rough estimate is $18,000-$25,000 to outfit a computer lab.
  5. Mark Feldman, literacy committee chair update. Oregon Battle of the Books (OBOB) will be coming to Chávez for grades 3-5 this year. The OBOB tournament will be in February. The books for Battle of the Books have been purchased, thanks to donors from the school community as well as a $300 grant Ms Reynolds received from Portland Reading Council. On Monday September 11, at the Chávez library there will be a work party to unpack the books, and organize them to be delivered to the classrooms. September 15, we will have a bake sale to raise funds for OBOB. Volunteers needed, please email Mark Feldman to get more information about OBOB. Please contact any PTA executive committee member with questions about the bake sale.
  6. Treasurer’s Report: Meginn Nordstrom provided the treasurer’s report. See copy attached. Current balance: $3,018.78.
  7. Approval of meeting minutes from August meeting. Minutes handed out to the membership. Minutes were read. Amber Clark made a motion to approve the minutes, motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
  8. Keiona R. Connor discussed new business: Keiona discussed upcoming fundraisers:
  1. Run for the Cyclones – Danielle Arp asked if parents can get more notice on the fundraiser. Keiona states that our goal is to get information to families 2 weeks prior to the Run. Run for the Cyclones will happen early fall.
  2. Auction fundraiser is the second large fundraiser.
  3. The PTA board is proposing that we raise funds for the computer lab with the money raised from Run for the Cyclones, and we raise funds at the auction for playground improvements. Leah Hinson made a motion for the funds raised from Run for the Cyclones be earmarked for a technology room, and the auction funds to go toward school improvements; motion seconded, unanimous vote in favor.
  4. The PTA Executive Committee is looking for a chairperson for each of the following: events, fundraising, community building and support, and advocacy committees. Louisa suggests we post the needs for chair positions on Facebook as well as other volunteer needs.
  5. Committee reports:
  1. Membership committee –  Amber Clark states as of tonight we have 27 members. We have 2 teachers signed up so far. Our goal is to get all teachers signed up. Ask other parents and teachers to become members. Scholarships available. $10 for a membership.
  2. Auction committee – Marlon Broussard is very excited to chair the committee. We have a free venue: Red Sea Community Church. It is in the building of St. John’s Swap and Play. Alcohol will be allowed. They are community centered and very open and welcoming. Next step is making sure we have 150 participants: parents, friends, community members, grandparents. Unsure of how much we will charge. The charge will include a dinner. Looking for parents who work in catering, as we are looking for discounts on food. We will need about 40 volunteers that day. Date is Saturday, April 28. We have two MC’s: Louisa Kaplan and Maria Velez from SUN school.
  3. Communications committee – Jason Clark presented as co-chair. There is a Chavez Facebook page, and website (www.cesarchavezpta.org) and a Google calendar. Discussion around communication strategies at Chávez.
  4. Transportation and Safety committee – Danielle Arp is the co-chair of the committee. She is focusing on traffic and parking around the school. Danielle is working with Portland Bureau of Transportation on upcoming improvements around safety at Chávez.
  5. School Improvement Committee – Skye Waggoner is the committee chair, her primary concern has been a lack of a fence surrounding the playground. The fence is currently being built thanks to her and other parent advocates. The membership thanked Skye for her work on this. Marlon suggests we get delineator posts on Amazon for $20 each. Keiona will ask Ms. Kelsey to see about the school getting the posts. Danielle will ask Lale (from PBOT) about these posts as well.
  6. Colores – Louisa is speaking for Jedd Schrock (who chairs the committee). Colores is our racial equity group at our school, it can be a mixture of discussion and action group. Jedd is going to have the meetings at the same time as last year, but he would like to hear from families if the time works for them.  The meetings are on the second Tuesday of the month. The next meeting will be 9/12/17 from 6-7:30. Jedd will post the meeting time on Facebook.
  1. Announcements – Keiona discussed the flier of upcoming events. Back to school night has been moved to 9/28/17.
  2. Meeting adjourned at 8:07pm by Keiona R Connor.

 

Minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, César Chávez PTA Secretary.


 

Comments are closed.
©2018 César Chávez PTA