César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
March 7, 2018 – 5:30-7pm
César Chávez School Library
Chair: Fred Smith
- Fred Smith called the meeting to order at 5:42 pm. Quorum established.
- January meeting minutes reviewed by membership and approved as written.
- New business:
- William Francis spoke from Safe Routes to School and Community Cycling Center. They are offering a bike camp program coming up during this spring break, there are 12 spots available. The camp will teach the basics of bike safety. The goal is to give kids the skills to ride on the road safely. Liliana and Jen at SUN school have been helping with sign ups. Next term there will be a bike club class at SUN school (12 participants) meeting two times per week for grades 4 & 5. If there is a lot of interest, they may have more offerings next year. They are providing a refurbished bike and helmet, lock and patch kit during the bike camp and the bike club. Their emphasis for participants are kids who do not own a bike and are not exposed to bike culture. Also, Safe Routes to School is doing an information session at Charles Jordan on 3/16 3-5 pm, food will be provided. In the past they have done walking school buses and are open to other suggestions.
- Jen Langer spoke from SUN school – She is asking for trained volunteers or staff to volunteer from 2:30 – 3:30 pm every day at SUN school, they need support on the playground. She is asking that we spread the word.
- Fred discussed possible change to the language in the standing rules, Leah Hinson read the proposed change. The vote on that change will take place at the next PTA meeting in April. The proposed change is posted on the PTA bulletin board.
- Fred notified the memberships the executive committee is looking for nominations for membership chair and treasurer which will be voted on in May, as both positions will be available.
- Fred discussed the St. John’s Parade which will take place on May 12, 2018. Fred discussed the upcoming parade and need for volunteers and ideas for our schools involvement.
- President’s Report – Fred discussed this is our one year anniversary of the Cesar Chavez PTA. Discussed the work of the past year: new family meet ups, kinder red carpet event, monthly movie nights for our community, this month we will show Coco on 3/16/18. Other accomplishments: we hosted Run for the Cyclones, and on 4/28/18 we will have the first César Chávez Auction. Discussed possibility of having a harvest festival this next fall, members showed interest in the harvest festival. Louisa Kaplan suggested we check out Sauvie Island Academy and Harvest Homes Assisted Living as they both do a harvest festival as well.
- Treasurer’s Report – Meginn provided the treasurer’s report to the membership. The current balance is $12,795.74.
- Committee Reports
- Fundraising – Nicole Dalton discussed a new fundraising program called SCRIP. Handout given to members. To begin there will be a once per month order. The SCRIP is picked up in Tigard. Looking for volunteers to pick up order in Tigard once per year. Order due on the third Monday of the month, orders placed Tuesday and picked up Thursday of that third week. Tahni Holt updated the membership regarding Fred Meyer Rewards – in December there were 8 people signed up and by January there were 27 people signed up. We will get another update in April. All of the funds from January-March will go to the 8th grade graduation.
- Auction – Marlon is asking everyone to buy tickets just to get a sense of who is going, in order to get catering for the event. If everyone in this room could notify 5 people about the auction that would be very helpful. 26 regular tickets have sold and 10 teacher and staff tickets sold as of today. Marlon asking for donations for auction items.
- Communications – Shona Lepis and Jason Clark updated the website and it is up: www.cesarchavezpta.org. Shona is asking for bio’s if you are on a committee. The website is also available in Spanish as well. Auction tickets can be purchased on the website.
- Transportation and Safety – Danielle Arp has been in touch with Lale and PBOT, the safety plan has been delayed to the end of March. Danielle also mentioned some concern about dogs on the field and playground after school. Danielle will post some information about dog patrol at Chavez on Facebook.
- Colores – Jedd Schrock reported that there was the spaces and boundaries meeting, and he feels like there hasn’t been any activity since that meeting. Jedd would like the next Colores meeting to discuss these issues. He is proposing a Colores meeting to take place 3/20/18. Fred discussed the fact that a parent is coordinating a show of support for Chavez at a PPS board meeting 4/24/18. Information will go out on the Families of Cesar Chavez page.
- Literacy – Leah read the report Mark Feldman sent which is: “This Saturday 3/10 is the regional tournament. Cesar Chavez School will be sending “Words of Prey,” a team of 4th graders: Luka, Emory, Owen, Ja-Angelo and Ezra. There was some good competition within the building leading up to their selection. Students are continuing to read and dig into the books. We’re planning to offer OBOB again next year for 3rd – 5th graders and would love to find another parent volunteer or two to help out with battles during class time and fundraising.”
- Announcements discussed as listed on the agenda.
- Fred Smith adjourned the meeting at 7:19 pm.
Minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, Secretary.
Treasurer’s Report | For Febuary -March, 7 2018 – Presented 3/7/2018
Current Balance: $12,795.74
|2/14/2018||Deposit For Square -Auction||$92.92|
|2/16/2018||Deposit For Square -Auction||$96.80|
|2/20/2016||Deposit For Square -Auction||$65.64|
|2/20/2016||Deposit For Square -Auction||$313.71|
|2/23/2018||Deposit For Square -Auction||$92.92|
|2/26/2018||Deposit For Square -Auction||$371.97|
|2/282018||Deposit For Square -Auction||$92.92|
|3/06/2018||Deposit For Square -Auction||$154.45|
Checks and withdrawals:
|2/16/2018||Cash for movie night||-$60.00|
Meginn Nordstrom, Treasurer | Tesorera