César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
April 4, 2018 – 5:30-7pm
César Chávez School Library
Chair: Keiona R Connor
- Keiona R Connor called the meeting to order at 5:45 pm. Quorum established.
- March meeting minutes reviewed by membership and approved as written.
- New business:
- Keiona made a call for volunteers: She gave an update on upcoming events that need volunteers including update on the STEM night that will happen on May 11, 2018. There will be a complimentary dinner and prizes to kids that come to the event. Call for 15-20 volunteers for that event. Rummage sale May 18-19th. We are in the beginning of planning that. Gently used clothing, small household items to donate will be available for drop off. This month our very first auction is taking place April 28th 7-10 pm, many items for auction, tickets are $32. St Johns parade May 12 at noon. Chavez will be represented, asking for volunteers. Also Ms. McCormack on May 9th needs about 9 volunteers or a 6th grade field trip to a museum.
- 2018-2019 volunteers – Keiona asked the group to think about next year, how members can participate. We have 8 meetings and 8 parent coffees every year. She asked members to think about ways to help, for example: provide food, childcare, translation etc for meetings.
- Next month on May 2nd at our meeting we will have an election for a new membership chair and a new treasurer. If a member is interested, they are asked to contact a board member.
- Standing rules – Keiona read the proposed changes to the standing rules which were presented to the membership. Discussion around these proposed changes. Fred Smith made a motion to change the standing rules as they are proposed and written, see attached document, motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
- President’s Report – Keiona applauded our PTA for our accomplishments. We currently have 71 members. We have confirmed our calendar for next year. We are working on our budget for next year as well. Fred mentioned that we will continue to work on communication so that we can reach all of our families.
- Keiona R Connor presented the treasurer’s report in Meginn Nordstrom’s absence. The balance is $15,917.16.
- Committee Reports:
- Auction: Marlon Broussard – Discussed importance of communication about the event out to families. Mr. Fuller said an autocall can go out. Mr Fuller will also ask Nelson to put it up on the reader board. Discussed maybe including a flyer in report cards. Marlon discussed some of the items up for auction. A beach house at Cannon Beach for 4 nights, principal for a day, dinner in your home for 10 by the chef at Cha Cha Cha. Donations need to be turned in by April 20th. The plan is to have catering for 150 people. Around 110 tickets have been purchased.
- Staff appreciation week will be May 7th – May 11th, look for more information coming.
- Keiona discussed other announcements discussed from the agenda.
- Mr. Fuller updated on the computers. For Middle School students next year there will be technology taught by Ms. Wilde. Instead of the planned computer lab, due to loss of full time technology teacher next year and lack of space, he has recommended a PC laptop cart which will be used for middle school students next year, PTA will purchase those laptops from the funds raised from Run for the Cyclones. Next year K-3 will get Chromebook carts thanks to the techsmart grant and the carts we already have will go to 4-5th grades, that will bring the ratio up to 1 chromebook per 2 kids in the school in the lower grades. Mr Fuller is planning to meet with PPS purchasing to determine the cost. He also gave an update regarding the future plan for Cesar Chavez school. PPS has said they will come back with a proposal within the next couple of months which they will plan to implement in the fall of 2019.
- Keiona also discussed that several parents from Chavez are speaking to the PPS board on April 24, 2018, parents can go and show support, three parents are planning to speak. Marlon is asking when the working group meetings are happening at PPS regarding North Portland boundaries. Mr Fuller suggested we contact Judy Brennan at PPS.
- Mr Fuller also notified us that this Thursday 4/5/18 our track team is competing at Roosevelt and they would like families there to support the kids, also there will be a Bravo concert at Roosevelt on May 17th.
- Keiona adjourned the meeting at 6:54 pm.
Minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, Secretary.
Changes made to standing rules:
Under officers, adding language: Elections of membership chair and treasurer will take place in even years and co-presidents and secretary will be elected in odd years.
Dissolution clause: Upon the dissolution of this local unit, after paying or adequately providing for the debts and obligations of the organization, the remaining assets shall be distributed to one or more nonprofit funds, foundations, or organizations that have established their tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and whose purposes are in accordance with those of National PTA.
Treasurer’s Report | For March – April, 4 2018 – Presented 4/4/2018
Informe del Tesorero | Para marzo – abril, 4 2018 – Presentado el 4/4/2018
Current Balance /Saldo actual: $15,917.16
Deposits / Depósitos:
|3/2/2016||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$123.69|
|3/6/2018||Cash Deposit – Auction / Subasta||$100|
|3/6/2018||Cash Deposit – Movie Night / Noche de película||$117.17|
|3/7/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$92.92|
|3/8/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$61.84|
|3/9/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$247.37|
|3/12/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$92.92|
|3/12/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$61.84|
|3/19/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$124.08|
|3/19/2018||Cash Deposit – Movie Night / Noche de película||$318.05|
|3/19/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$89.04|
|3/20/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$23.97|
|3/22/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$30.77|
|3/23/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$185.52|
|3/26/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$186.32|
|3/28/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$61.84|
|3/29/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$30.77|
|3/30/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$61.84|
|4/2/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$124.80|
|4/2/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$62.81|
|4/3/2018||Deposit From Square – Auction / Subasta||$61.84|
Checks and withdrawals:
|3/7/2018||Reimbursement to Amber Clark- Movie Night / Reembolso a Amber Clark – Noche de película||-$71.83|
|3/7/2018||Reimbursement to Amber Clark- Dance / Reembolso a Amber Clark – Baile||-$17.60|
|3/7/2018||Reimbursement to Amber Clark- Run For The Cyclones Shirts / Reembolso a las camisas de Amber Clark||-$834.64|
Meginn Nordstrom, Treasurer | Tesorera