César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
November 7, 2018 – 5:30-7pm
César Chávez School Library
Chair: Keiona R Connor
- Keiona R Connor called the meeting to order at 5:55 pm. Quorum established.
- October meeting minutes were reviewed by the membership and approved as corrected.
- Unfinished business:
- Committee formation:
- Amy Gilkey offered to be a chair of the Advocacy committee, and Nicole Dalton and Erinne Coit would like to be members.
- Alice White-Cyr – Discussed starting a green team to work around sustainability and transportation safety and alternative methods of transportation to the school. Discussion around transportation. The membership will need to vote at next meeting to determine if the Green Team will be a PTA committee.
- New business:
- Transportation discussion with William Francis and Rocio Simon. Rocio has made a proposal to close the side driving entrance to the school and paint the area to demarcate where the buses park. William and Rocio are both collecting signatures from the families here to get buy in from the community prior to making the changes. Discussed problems with idling cars, people parking the wrong way in front of the school etc and how that impacts the safety of the kids here. They want to make sure that the kids are safe, and make changes before an accident occurs. TJ will reach out to facilities and the fire department to make sure that this plan can be approved. Transportation and Safety committee established with the following members: William Francis, Rocio Simon, Alice White-Cyr, Sam Balto and Mark Feldman.
- Ms. Wilde spoke about the book fair: It is scheduled the week after the school is closed for conferences. Scholastic will bring the items the week before conferences. Ms. Wilde said there will be an online sign up option to volunteer, the book fair will go late on Wednesday night. She is asking for student volunteers to help monitor the fair. Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend will need help for set up. Wanting to do the teacher wish list. Book fair will start when school starts until 4, and on Wednesday until 7 pm. Marlon is going to ask Barnes and Noble or Powells to see if they would be willing to donate some books.
- Committee Reports:
- Tahni Holt – Membership update, we have 51 members. Tahni gave a reminder to update membership if you have not done so already.
- Mark Feldman – Literacy – Oregon Battle of the Books, kids have the books and are doing the reading. He is working on getting audio books. One way to get involved – load books onto mp3 players. Another ask is to help run battles in early 2019, reach out to Mark if interested in helping.
- Marlon Broussard – Second annual auction, 2019. The committee met yesterday, they are looking for someone to help with a theme (sports theme, disco theme, casino theme), auction is scheduled for Saturday, April 27th. Plan is to get letters to donors mid December.
- Treasurer’s Report – Nicole Dalton presented the report: total balance: $51,028.33. Note: paid $8000 to the school for computers from last years run for the cyclones. We raised $8648.00 from this year’s run for the cyclones. We also received a grant from Metro for the covered bike rack for $3957.00.
- Keiona gave updates: Chinook books are for sale until 11/15. Announcements discussed.
- Mr. Fuller announced next Wednesday 11/14 at 7 pm Bravo is presenting a film on the Bravo summer camp from this past summer, the film will play at the Old Church.
- Meeting adjourned at 7:13 pm.
Meeting Minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, secretary.