César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
December 5, 2018 – 5:30-7pm
César Chávez School Library
Chair: Keiona R Connor
- Keiona R Connor called the meeting to order at 6:02 pm. Quorum established.
- Ms Wilde talked about the book fair. Theft was down about 60% from last year. Books that had toys attached, some of those toys were taken. She has plans in motion to reduce theft even further next year. Total sold: $3626.95, scholastic dollars the school gets to keep for next year is $1813.48. Ms Wilde is planning that with the profits, kids can purchase scholastic dollars at the Cyclone store with their cyclones in order to help more kids access the book fair as there were concerns from some teachers that many children were not able to afford a book from the book fair. She also will work on asking for more parent involvement during the busiest times (mostly drop off and pick up are the busiest times). Sarah Chewerda is working on getting grants to the school for books. Jen Langer suggested the organization “Reading is fundamental” (RIF) which provides a free book to every student.
- November meeting minutes were reviewed by the membership and approved as written.
- New business:
- Discussion around formation of a “green team” committee. Alice White-Cyr talked about the green team, she went to a series of trainings at Eco School Network this fall. Leah Hinson made a motion to add the green team as a committee to our standing rules, Fred seconded the motion. Vote was unanimous in favor. If interested in joining the green team, contact Alice at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Discussion around executive committee and upcoming elections in May 2019 for the 2019-2021 term, we will be electing the co-presidents and secretary. Keiona is planning on running again as co-president, Fred Smith is not planning on running for a second term. Leah Hinson, secretary is not planning on running again for secretary. Keiona asked members at meeting if they might consider serving in either the co-president or secretary role, or ask others in the community if they are interested.
- Fred Smith made an announcement for Mr Fuller who was not able to attend tonight. On 1/24/19 at Chavez there will be a community meeting to talk about possible reconfiguration of the school. The conversation will center around possibly having the school become a Dual Language Immersion school or a K-5. Mr Fuller also wanted to give a transportation and safety update: the parking lot entrance on Willis has been blocked off as a safety issue, also a crossing guard was added at Haven street, students are being trained to be crossing guards as well.
- Committee Reports
- Communications – Shona Lepis gave a report on a recent communications meeting where the committee discussed adding content to the website. Veronica offered to help gather information and help build content. If anyone is interested in adding to the website or other PTA communications (facebook, instagram) please contact Shona at: email@example.com.
- Membership – Tahni Holt reports we now have 62 members. Also discussed the $50 grant to teachers which was given out to teachers, and some teachers have already utilized the grants.
- Colores/Racial Equity group – Tahni and Fred discussed the pie fundraiser which earned $747 for racial equity work, pie pick up is on December 14th at 2:15 pm. The racial equity group has wanted to raise money for an equity training, possibly with Resolutions Northwest, and they have discussed joining with other schools to do this training.
- Fundraising – Tahni said that Fred Meyer Rewards earnings from January – March will go to 8th grade graduation. Remember to link your Fred Meyer Rewards card to Cesar Chavez PTA so Fred Meyer can match your rewards earnings and give that same amount to the PTA.
- Literacy – Sarah Chewerda stated she applied for and we received 2 literacy grants to buy Spanish books for the library. $550 coming in from those grants for books.
- Jen Langer made a request for funds for a charging station for laptops in Ms. Kong’s classroom, the estimated cost is $700-1200, currently the classroom is not able to utilize their Chromebooks because of the lack of charging. Discussion around funds. Tahni and Keiona discussed with Jen that in order to spend PTA money that has been previously raised for other things, the membership would need to be informed a month in advance of a vote to change our budget to reallocate those funds, so the money would most likely not be available until March. Tahni said she would contact Ms. Kong this week to offer support to start a “donors choose” account for the request.
- Treasurer’s report – Nicole Dalton was unable to join us tonight, and we do not have a treasurer’s report, the report will be available on the website within the next couple of weeks.
- Announcements: Keiona discussed the announcements from the agenda, Tahni also gave an update that volunteers are needed during SUN school especially from 2:15-3:15 on the playground, a background check through PPS must be completed prior to volunteering. Contact Lili at SUN school if interested: firstname.lastname@example.org. Leah discussed need for volunteers for Portland Council Clothing Closet next Monday 12/10 from 9:30 – 1:30 pm, the clothing closet is asking for 5-6 volunteers. Sarah asked if her husband and their 4 year old could join, Leah will email Sharon Meigh Chang and ask.
- Keiona adjourned the meeting at 7:02 pm.
Meeting minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, secretary.