César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
May 1, 2019 – 5:30-7pm
César Chávez School Library
Chair: Keiona R Connor
- Keiona R Connor called the meeting to order at 5:50 pm. Quorum established.
- March 2019 meeting minutes were reviewed by the membership and approved as written.
- New business/announcements:
- PTA Board Elections – Keiona read the slate of candidates: Keiona R Connor, co-president, second co-president position is vacant with no nominee, secretary Veronica Arenas Marshall. No nominations from the floor for any of the positions listed. Voice vote held for current slate of candidates: Unanimous vote in favor of the slate of candidates.
- Run for the Cyclones this school year 2018-2019 – we originally voted to have funds go to field trips and positive behavior incentives. Mr. Fuller got funding this year and next year for field trips, but he lost funding for teacher supplies (he typically gives funds to teachers at the beginning of the school year). We have $5,598.81 left from RFTC this year ($119.12 per certified staff). Fred Smith made a motion to reallocate Run For The Cyclones funds from 2018-2019 to teacher grant reserves. Motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
- Change to 2018-2019 budget rummage sale – Fred Smith made a motion to hold a benefit fundraiser rummage sale for a grant to Latino Network, for proceeds to keep the Chávez Food Pantry open over the summer. Motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
- 2019-2020 Budget – Membership reviewed the proposed budget. Several amendments were made. Skye Waggoner made a motion to pass the budget as amended. Motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
- Run for the Cyclones 2019-2020 allocation of funds. Discussion around funds from next year’s Run for the Cyclones. Mr. Fuller had suggested funds go toward SUN school. PTA board suggesting funds go toward SUN school and literacy committee. Discussion held. Veronica Arenas Marshall made a motion to postpone the vote on funds in order to get more information from SUN school. Motion seconded. 8 votes in favor, 3 opposed. The motion carries.
- STEAM night next Friday May 10th, Math focused this year, PTA needs 25 volunteers, several members volunteered for the event tonight. A volunteer request will be posted on bulletin board.
- Teacher appreciation – Information will go out soon asking for volunteers for next week’s teacher appreciation.
- Committee Reports
- Auction – Fred updated on Marlon’s behalf, Fred thanked everyone who attended, all of the business or people who donated to the auction. We raised $26,388 net. It was an awesome event for raising funds and for building community. Honored some parents and teachers in the community at the event. Fred said the auction committee is recruiting for new members for next years auction.
- Racial equity group – Tahni reported, the pie fundraiser made $750, there is a plan and roll out for next year – theme is restorative justice, the plan is to support the staff and parents around restorative justice. Several of the equity group members met with Mr. Lumsey today about starting a parent cohort group who will meet 2-3 times next year and they will become leaders of knowledge, and they are planning a couple of larger events that and open to the public. They are also starting a book club in the couple of months discussing White Fragility by Robin D’Angelo, if anyone is interested contact Nina Spring.
- Green team – Alice applied for a grant to continue expanding the party packs (of reuseable serveware).
- Treasurer’s report
- The report is for March and April. Current account balance is $71,807.52.
- Keiona discussed the announcements.
Meeting adjourned at 7:15 pm. Meeting minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, secretary.