César Chávez PTA Meeting Minutes
June 5, 2019 – 5:30-7pm
César Chávez School Library
Chair: Keiona R Connor
- Keiona R Connor called the meeting to order at 6:04 pm. Quorum established.
- May 2019 meeting minutes were reviewed by the membership and approved as written.
- New business:
- Budget add line item for office supplies – Keiona discussed need for adding a line item for office supplies (paper, ink, pens, pencils etc) for $500. Leah Hinson made a motion to add $500 for office supplies to the 2019-2020 budget. Motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
- Signers on bank account starting July 2019. Leah Hinson made a motion to make Keiona R Connor and Veronica Arenas Marshall signers on the Cesar Chavez PTA bank account at Beneficial State Bank starting July 1, 2019. Motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
- Run for the Cyclones funds allocation 2019-2020 school year – the PTA board is proposing we support SUN school and literacy committee. Liliana Gomez discussed need for funds at SUN school and she how the funds will be allocated at SUN school. Funds would go toward 2020 SUN summer program. SUN school has a school year budget ($14,000) which runs three terms of after school programing. Last year SUN got a $10,000 grant from the school district a month before the end of school for summer school. This year SUN got another grant for $10,000, the cost to run a full summer program is $17,000. All funds from PTA granted to SUN school would go to the SUN program in the summer of 2020. Discussion held around what it would take to run a full school year of SUN and Lili said she would need $20-24,000 not including summer (so $6-10,000 more than their current school year budget), and summer is $17,000 for 5 days for 4 weeks (this year they are doing 4 days and for 3 weeks which costs $10,000). Tahni Holt spoke about recent literacy committee meeting – ideas include more parent involvement with reading in the classroom (help organize readers for teachers), shared libraries per grade, resources around learning disabilities, dyslexia. Shona Lepis made a motion to allocate funds from Run for the Cyclones fundraiser in 2019 to go toward SUN school. Motion seconded. Unanimous vote in favor.
- Committee updates – Tahni already presented about literacy. No other committee chairpeople have updates.
- Treasurer’s Report – Nicole Dalton presented treasurer’s report. Year end report will be posted to the website by the end of June. Nicole reports that the PTA came in under budget on most things this year and brought in more funds than was expected. Total in the account is $70,262.41, there are still outstanding checks that need to be cashed and some reimbursements that need to be made.
- Marlon Broussard gave an update on the principal search from Scott Whitbeck. The principal interviews were postponed and will be taking place in the next couple of weeks.
- Announcements – Field Day will be on Monday June 10th – if anyone would like to volunteer hand out drinks and popsicles and help run the stations. K-5 is 9:10-10:45, and 6-8 is 12:30-2:30. Middle school dance is this Friday at 5:30 the school needs 4-5 chaperones, let the school know if you are available.
- Keiona adjourned the meeting at 6:58 pm.
Meeting minutes submitted by Leah Hinson, Secretary.